Physical Education (PE)
- At Kingsbury Green Primary School, we believe a high quality PE curriculum should be an integral part of the whole school curriculum and one that staff, pupils and parents understand and can contribute to. Through PE & Sport, our children learn to develop the important qualities of discipline, resilience, communication, team work and ambition, leading to improved concentration, attitudes and academic outcomes.
- Our PE curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils develop the fundamental skills and competence to excel in a wide range of physical activities by providing a broad and balanced curriculum with opportunities for all to be enjoyed.
- A high quality PE curriculum will develop physical literacy and will allow pupils to learn about themselves, the importance of a healthy lifestyle, self-expression and concepts such as fair play and respect. It also contributes to the development of a range of important cognitive skills such as decision making and analysis, and social skills such as teamwork and communication.
- Our PE curriculum will be inclusive and ensure that pupils of all abilities access the range of activities we offer and that they are physically active for sustained periods of time in order to encourage them to lead healthy, active lives.
- All pupils have 2 hours of PE timetabled each week. In year 4 this includes Swimming
- Lessons are taught either by our dedicated PE teacher or class teachers.
- Training and support is offered by our specialist teacher to all staff
- A full programme of study including the opportunity to access interschool competitive sporting fixtures through the year is a strength of the school.
- The PE and dance curriculum is linked to pupil’s personal development and well-being through the science curriculum and our whole school approach as a Health School / London Healthy Schools Award.
The impact of PE and sport is measured through the following
- Pupil voice
- School leader and governor monitoring
- Oversubscription to sports clubs and activities
- Ranking in inter school sporting events
- Athletics: 5th place in Brent
- Gymnastics: Brent 3rd place and individual 2nd place.
- Basketball: 2nd place in Brent
- Sporting Challenge: 1st place overall in Brent
- London interschool Boccia Panathlon 1st Place Brent, 2nd place London
Next review date 01.09.20