Reading List/Reading at Home
We foster a love of reading by practising regularly in school in different ways. We encourage children to read books they are interested in; whether they are stories, biographies, comic books or anything else. Children are encouraged to talk about books they have read including what is happening in the book, their favourite characters and what might happen next.
Our vision for our readers is that children read a range of texts with confidence, enthusiasm and fluency. We want children to enjoy reading and “get lost “in a book.
We value reading because we know:
- Children who read often and widely get better at it
- Reading exercises our brain
- Reading improves our concentration
- Reading teaches children about the world around them
- Reading improves vocabulary and language skills
- Reading helps children to develop empathy
- Reading is fun
- Reading develops a child’s imagination
- Reading is a great way to spend time together
- Children who read have better outcomes in school
The following recommended lists are a minimum expectation for children. All the books are available from our school library.